ALEJANDRO SAINZ ORANTES
ALEJANDRO SAINZ ORANTES
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Domestic and Cross-border Insolvency and Restructurings (out-of-court & in-court)
- Corporate Reorganizations
- Finance, Refinancing, and Sale & Purchase of Distressed Assets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Compliance & Corporate Governance
- Investigations, Anti-corruption and cross-border FCPA
Alejandro Sainz was the founding partner of Cervantes Sainz which was spun- off into Sainz Abogados. He chairs the restructurings and insolvency practice area and is a member of the Finance, Compliance & Investigations, and Mergers and Acquisitions practice groups at Sainz Abogados.
He has more than 30 years of experience advising and representing clients in the practices of cross-border Insolvency and Restructurings (out-of-court & in-court – concursos mercantiles), Finance, Refinancing and Corporate Reorganizations, as well as in the purchase & sale of assets in special situations and distress. Throughout his vast experience, he has represented clients and debtors from various industries, both nationally and internationally, domestic and foreign companies, public and private, as well as several ad-hoc committees of international bondholders and noteholders issued abroad by Mexican issuers.
He has also been characterized by its service to the community, advising pro-bono new entrepreneurs and companies, as well as nonprofit organizations who need help in specific matters of law.
Alejandro is also a certified Mediator by the Mexican Institute of Mediation and was a professor at the Universidad Iberoamericana; he has taught and spoken in various courses, seminars, post-graduate courses and conferences, in Mexico and abroad, in matters of corporate restructurings and cross-border restructurings and insolvency proceedings. He participates in various boards of directors and committees.
- Represented Grupo Iusacell, Iusacell Celular, Grupo ICA and M&G Polimeros in their cross-border restructuring and concurso procedures, including on the Mexican law aspects of Chapter 15 proceedings.
- Represented the ad-hoc committees of noteholders in the cross-border insolvency procedures of Corporación Durango, Cementos Chihuahua, Comercial Mexicana, Vitro, Maxcom, Hipotecaria Su Casita, Homex, Corporación Geo and Grupo Idesa, among others.
- Represented Grupo Sare, Copamex and Grupo Javer in their out-of-court cross-border restructuring proceedures.
- Advised various creditors in the Mexican legal aspects of the U.S. insolvency procedure of Tower Automotive.
- Advised certain key creditors in the cross-border insolvency procedures of Majapara, Compañía Mexicana de Aviación and Urbi.
- Represents TV Azteca in its out-of-court cross-border restructuring procedure.
- Represents Isolux de México in its concurso procedure.
- Represents the ad-hoc committee of noteholders in the out-of-court cross-border restructuring procedure of Maxcom.
- Advises the ad-hoc committee of bondholders in the cross-border restructuring procedure of AlphaCredit.
- Advises a key creditor in the concurso procedure of Altan.
- Advises the ad-hoc committee of bondholders in the cross-border concurso and restructuring procedures of Oro Negro.
- Represents Grupo Aeroméxico and subsidiaries in its cross-border Chapter 11 restructuring procedure.
- Participates in multiple transactional procedures of mergers & acquisitions, financing and corporate reorganizations, corporate governance, investigations and compliance, as well as in arbitration procedures acting as counsel for parties.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Chambers and Partners, Latin America: Bankruptcy / Restructuring, 2022, Band One.
- The Legal 500, Latin America: Bankruptcy / Restructuring, 2021, Band One.
- Latin America Corporate Counsel Association – LACCA Approved: Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Banking and Finance, 2020.
- Who’s Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency, Global Leader, 2021.
- Best Lawyer in Mexico: Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2008 – 2021.
- World Finance Legal Award in the category of “Best Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Team in Mexico”
- Corporate International Magazine Global Awards as the Insolvency Legal Advisory Firm of the Year in Mexico.
- International Insolvency Law Firm of the Year in Mexico – Corporate INTL Global Awards.
- Universidad Panamericana, postgraduate studies in Tax Law.
- Harvard Business School, postgraduate studies in Negotiations, Executive Education, Cambridge, 2004.
- Harvard University, postgraduate studies in United States Law and Commercial Transactions, Cambridge, 1996.
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, postgraduate studies in Corporate, Banking and Finance Law, Mexico City, 1995.
- Universidad Panamericana, Specialized Diploma in U.S. Law System, 1993.
- Universidad Panamericana, J.D., Mexico City, 1993.
MEMBERSHIPS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Barra Mexicana de Abogados (Chairman of the Insolvency and Restructurings Commission)
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Instituto Iberoamericano de Derecho Concursal
- Instituto Mexicano de la Mediación A.C.
- International Insolvency Institute (III)