T. +52 55 9178 5050
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Private Equity
- Mergers and Acquisitions
OCTAVIO L. HERNÁNDEZ is a Partner in the Private Equity, Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) and Financing practices at Sainz Abogados, S.C. He mainly represents private equity funds and financial institutions (foreign and domestic) in investments, divestments, and financings in Mexico and abroad. Octavio’s clients participate in several industries, including manufacturing, asset management, restaurants, franchises, and professional services. In addition, Octavio advises various groups of entrepreneurs in Mexico.
In the area of mergers and acquisitions, Octavio provides his clients with experience regarding sophisticated M&A processes, resulting from strategic acquisitions (e.g., equity, assets or business units), as well as experience regarding M&A processes resulting from shareholder conflicts or corporate reorganizations.
With respect to financing, Octavio commonly represents financial institutions and debt funds, as creditors as well as corporate borrowers, in their credit operations and guarantee structures, including subordinated debt structures (mezzanine).
- Represented Grupo Financiero Interacciones in its $US1.4 billion merger with Grupo Financiero Banorte, resulting in the creation of the second largest financial institution in Mexico.
- Represented PwC México in its merger process with PwC U.S.
- Represented the buyers and sellers of Italianni’s, a restaurant chain with more than 40 sale points, in the mediation process, which ended in the sale of the business valued at US$170 million.
- Represented several private equity and venture capital funds in their investments and divestments.
- Has participated, as a party attorney, in various arbitration proceedings, both national and international, in relation to commercial disputes, shareholder conflicts, minority rights, and corporate governance issues.
- Has mediated and negotiated various corporate and commercial conflicts (e.g., shareholder disputes) representing Mexican and foreign clients.
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. Master of Laws (LL.M.), Chicago, 2014.
- Kellogg School of Management. Certificate in Business Administration, Chicago, 2014.
- Universidad Panamericana. Postgraduate studies in Civil (Contractual) Law, Mexico City, 2010.
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM). Postgraduate studies in Mergers, Acquisitions, and Corporate Spin-offs, Mexico City, 2009.
- Tecnológico de Monterrey. Law Degree (J.D.), Mexico City, 2007.
MEMBERSHIPS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Sidley Austin, LLP, Foreign Associate (2014–2015).
- Professor of Civil Contracts, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Santa Fe (2011–2013).