T. +52 55 5980 4124 / M. +52 55 4304 2655
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Corporate Governance
HUGO LÓPEZ-COLL is admitted to practice in New York and Mexico. He advises Mexican companies and multinational corporations in regulated and non-regulated industries, regulatory matters and compliance with Mexican laws, including the Federal Law for the Prevention and Identification of Operations with Illegal Proceeds, the Federal Anti-Corruption Law in Public Procurement, the Federal Law for the Protection of Personal Data in Possession of Private Parties, the Federal Consumer Protection Law, the Federal Law on Gaming and Sweepstakes, as well as other laws in the financial sector, telecommunications and other regulated industries.
Hugo frequently advises clients on matters related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the OECD Convention, the United Nations Convention against Corruption, as well as the laws that make up the National Anticorruption System.
He is continuously invited to participate as speaker in seminars and conferences on compliance issues.
- NYSE listed company with presence in several Latin American countries. Internal investigation related to alleged insider trading practices carried out by directors and officers of the company.
- Company in the Automotive Sector. Internal investigation related to internal fraud in the hiring of suppliers by top level officers.
- Mexican Cement Manufacturer. Internal investigation in connection with proceedings related to possible acts of corruption in different countries.
- Fortune 10 Company. Lead compliance advisor to Fortune 10 Company in its anti-corruption compliance efforts worldwide with presence in Africa, Europe, Asia, Mexico, Central America, Latin America, India and China.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Listed, Chambers Latin America, Compliance (Band 1 - Mexico), 2017-2022.
- Listed, Best Lawyers Mexico, Corporate Governance and Compliance, 2019 – 2022.
- Listed, Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA), Approved for Anti-Corruption (Mexico), and Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions (Mexico), 2015-2022.
- Listed, Who's Who Legal, Investigations, "Future Leaders - Partners", 2018.
- Listed, 2017 Global Investigations Review's (GIR) 40 Under 40.
- Team Member, "Firm of the Year in Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2014.
- Team Member, Acquisition International magazine, "General Legal Services Firm - Mexico", 2013.
- Team Member, Acquisition International magazine, "Most Trusted Legal Services Firm - Mexico," 2013.
- Team Member, InterContinental Finance, "Mergers & Acquisitions Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013.
- Team Member, Lawyers World Law Awards, "Mergers & Acquisitions Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013.
- Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier Firm" in Real Estate Law, 2013.
- Team Member, Deal Makers, "Mergers & Acquisitions Legal Services Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2012-2013.
- Team Member, Latin Lawyer, "Restructuring Practice of the Year," 2012.
- Team Member, "Real Estate Law Practice of the Year" by Law360, 2012.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), Columbia Law School, 2008
- Recipient of the "LL.M. Pro Bono Fellowship Award," 2007-2008
- Law Degree, graduated with honors, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), 2004.
MEMBERSHIPS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Professor, "Securities and Credit Negotiations," Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City.
- Professor, "Corporations" and "Securities and Credit Negotiations", Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM), Campus Santa Fe.