T. +52 55 9178 5046 y 47
55 1948 8858
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Domestic and Cross-border Insolvency and Restructurings (out-of-court and in-court)
- Corporate Reorganizations
- Finance, Refinancing and Sale and Purchase of Distressed Assets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Compliance and Corporate Governance
- Investigations, Anti-corruption and cross-border FCPA
ALEJANDRO SAINZ was the Founding Partner of Cervantes Sainz which was spun off into Sainz Abogados. He chairs the Restructurings and Insolvency practice area and is a member of the Finance, Compliance and Investigations, and M&A practice groups at Sainz Abogados.
Alejandro has more than 30 years of experience advising and representing clients in cases of cross-border insolvency and restructuring (both out-of-court and in-court proceedings - concursos mercantiles), finance, refinancing, and corporate reorganizations, as well as in the purchase and sale of assets in special situations and distress. Throughout his vast experience, he has represented clients from various industries, both nationally and internationally, domestic and foreign companies, public and private, as well as several ad-hoc committees of international bondholders and noteholders issued abroad by Mexican issuers.
He has also been known for his service to the community, by providing pro-bono representation to various organizations. He is a Mediator certified by the Mexican Institute of Mediation, and was a professor at the Universidad Iberoamericana. He has taught and spoken in several courses, seminars, postgraduate courses and lectures, in Mexico and abroad, on topics such as restructuring, commercial bankruptcy and cross-border restructuring and insolvency proceedings. He participates in several boards of directors and committees.
- He represented Grupo Iusacell, Iusacell Celular, and Grupo ICA in their cross-border restructuring and concurso proceedings.
- Represented the ad-hoc committees of noteholders in the cross-border insolvency proceedings of Corporación Durango, Cementos Chihuahua, Comercial Mexicana, Vitro, Maxcom, Hipotecaria Su Casita, Homex, Corporación Geo and Grupo Idesa.
- Represented Grupo Sare, Copamex, and Grupo Javer in their out-of-court cross-border restructuring proceedings.
- Advised various creditors in the Mexican legal aspects of the U.S. insolvency procedure for Tower Automotive.
- Advised certain key creditors in the cross-border insolvency proceedings of Majapara, Compañía Mexicana de Aviación, and Urbi.
- Represents TV Azteca in its out-of-court cross-border restructuring procedure.
- Represents Isolux de México in its concurso procedure.
- Represents the ad-hoc committee of noteholders in the extrajudicial cross-border restructuring procedure of Maxcom.
- Advises the ad-hoc committee of bondholders in the cross-border restructuring procedure of AlphaCredit.
- Advises a key creditor in the concurso procedure of Altan.
- Advises the ad-hoc committee of bondholders in the cross-border concurso and restructuring proceedings of Oro Negro.
- Represents Grupo Aeroméxico and subsidiaries in their cross-border Chapter 11 restructuring procedure.
- Participates in multiple transactional proceedings of mergers and acquisitions, financing, corporate reorganizations, corporate governance, investigations, and compliance.
- Acts as counsel for parties in arbitration proceedings.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Chambers Latin America: Bankruptcy / Restructuring, Band One (2022).
- The Legal 500, Latin America: Bankruptcy / Restructuring, Tier One (2022).
- Latin America Corporate Counsel Association – LACCA Approved: Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Banking and Finance (2022).
- Who’s Who Legal: Restructuring and Insolvency, Global Leader and National Leader (2022).
- Best Lawyer in Mexico: Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2022).
- World Finance Legal Award: “Best Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Team in Mexico”.
- Corporate International Magazine Global Awards: Insolvency Legal Advisory Firm of the Year in Mexico.
- Corporate INTL Global Awards: International Insolvency Law Firm of the Year in Mexico.
- Universidad Panamericana. Postgraduate studies in Tax Law.
- Harvard Business School. Postgraduate studies in negotiations, Executive Education, Cambridge, 2004.
- Harvard University. Postgraduate studies in United States law and commercial transactions, Cambridge, 1996.
- Escuela Libre de Derecho. Postgraduate studies in corporate banking and finance law, Mexico City, 1995.
- Universidad Panamericana. Specialized Diploma in U.S. Law System, 1993.
- Universidad Panamericana..D., Mexico City, 1993.
MEMBERSHIPS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Barra Mexicana de Abogados(Co-Chairman of the Insolvency and Restructurings Commission).
- International Bar Association.
- American Bar Association.
- Instituto Iberoamericano de Derecho Concursal.
- Instituto Mexicano de la Mediación A.C.
- International Insolvency Institute.